Asparagus In The Round
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 25 min.
- 3 cups cubed seasoned stuffing
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine stuffing mix with 1/2 cup butter or water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in remaining butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in asparagus and mushrooms. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 266 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 31, 2013
I thought this was excellent. I changed it a bit because it sounded like it lacked flavor. I sauted 3 T onion then added minced garlic clove other ingredients but instead of cream I added 1/2 c sour cream and about 3 T of cream cheese and a splash of milk. Also fresh mushrooms instead of canned. It was surprisingly good and everyone loved it.
May 24, 2010
It was ok. Not good enough to go to all the trouble for a side dish though.
May 7, 2010
This was pretty good. My husband said he liked it.