Asparagus Ham Swirls Recipe
- 16 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 16 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 16 slices process Swiss cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Canola oil
- 1. In a large skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain well. Spread about 1 teaspoon of mustard on each ham slice. Top with one slice of cheese.
- 2. Place an asparagus spear at one end (trim to fit if needed). Roll up each ham slice tightly; secure with three toothpicks. Dip ham rolls in egg, then roll in bread crumbs.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Fry rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- 4. Cut each roll between the toothpicks into three pieces. Yield: 4 dozen.
3 each: 144 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus Ham Swirls
"Hubby and I had this for one of our movie nights. Very yummy, no downside, except some did not hold together as well. That might have been my fault though."
"Made this for a dove supper my husband and his friends were throwing. I found out at the last minute that we needed an appetizer and I threw this together with what I already had and the Yummly app made it easy to find this recipe based on what I had in the fridge. Was a big hit!!!"
"Rather than cutting these into thirds, I leave them whole for a nice lunch entrée."