Asparagus Ham Swirls
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 16 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 16 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 16 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Canola oil
- In a large skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain well. Spread about 1 teaspoon of mustard on each ham slice. Top with one slice of cheese.
- Place an asparagus spear at one end (trim to fit if needed). Roll up each ham slice tightly; secure with three toothpicks. Dip ham rolls in egg, then roll in bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Fry rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- Cut each roll between the toothpicks into three pieces.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 144 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 15, 2017
Hubby and I had this for one of our movie nights. Very yummy, no downside, except some did not hold together as well. That might have been my fault though.
Oct 24, 2015
Made this for a dove supper my husband and his friends were throwing. I found out at the last minute that we needed an appetizer and I threw this together with what I already had and the Yummly app made it easy to find this recipe based on what I had in the fridge. Was a big hit!!!
May 1, 2014
I have made something similar for years. Instead of bread crumbs, I cut the crust from sixteen slices of loaf bread (your choice, white, whole wheat, etc). Spread the mustard (dijon) on bread, slice of ham and asparagus. Roll up and saute in butter. Delicious!!!
Apr 24, 2014
Rather than cutting these into thirds, I leave them whole for a nice lunch entrée.