Asparagus Ham Salad with Mustard Dressing
From her Nepean, Ontario home, subscriber Lorrie Donald pens, "Our entire family loves asparagus! This recipe is among our very favorites. The salad has such a fresh taste, while the Dijon mustard adds a bit of tartness to the dressing."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes; drain well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and sugar if desired; shake well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Place asparagus in a serving bowl. Top with ham, onions and dressing. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 159 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Ham Salad in Country Woman March/April 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.