From her Nepean, Ontario home, subscriber Lorrie Donald pens, "Our entire family loves asparagus! This recipe is among our very favorites. The salad has such a fresh taste, while the Dijon mustard adds a bit of tartness to the dressing."
Recommended: 66 Recipes to Make This Spring
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and sugar if desired; shake well. Cover ad refrigerate at least 1 hour. Place asparagus in a serving bowl. Top with ham, onions and dressing. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Ham Salad in Country Woman March/April 1998, p41