Asparagus Ham Rolls
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 24 fresh or frozen asparagus spears
- 8 thin slices fully cooked ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. Place three asparagus spears on each ham slice. Roll up; secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- 3. Place in 13x9-in. baking dish; top with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
1 each: 125 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 492mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Dec 31, 1969
have made this several times as directed but had 1 daughter request turkey instead for dietary reasons. Used sliced turkey sandwich meat and it turned out great! I now make it alternating turkey and ham wraps to accommodate everyone at the table and very rarely are there leftovers for my meal at work!
Nov 16, 2011
This will be the second time I have made this wonderful recipe,the only change I made was add a bit more cheese and some garlic. The flavors blend so nicely, and a great meal for company! Yummy!!
Apr 7, 2010
My husband loves this dish and it is so easy to make.
Dec 31, 1969
I used skim milk and reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese and it tasted great! What wonderful way to use asparagus!