- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 24 fresh or frozen asparagus stalks
- 8 thin slices fully cooked ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and cook until thick. Gradually stir in milk and cook until bubbly and thickened. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Place three asparagus stalks on each ham slice. Roll up; secure with toothpicks if necessary. Place in 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; cover with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forAsparagus Ham Rolls
"have made this several times as directed but had 1 daughter request turkey instead for dietary reasons. Used sliced turkey sandwich meat and it turned out great! I now make it alternating turkey and ham wraps to accommodate everyone at the table and very rarely are there leftovers for my meal at work!"
"This will be the second time I have made this wonderful recipe,the only change I made was add a bit more cheese and some garlic. The flavors blend so nicely, and a great meal for company! Yummy!!"
"My husband loves this dish and it is so easy to make."
"I used skim milk and reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese and it tasted great! What wonderful way to use asparagus!"