Asparagus Ham Bundles
"A neighbor who grew his own asparagus gave me this recipe - along with much of his bounty - many years ago," reports Barb Kopf, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. "The fun little bundles are perfect for lunch or a spring brunch."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 8 slices fully cooked ham (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 24 fresh asparagus spears, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Swiss cheese until melted.
- Combine 1 cup of cheese mixture with rice. Spread about 1/4 cup on the bottom third of each ham slice. Top with three asparagus spears; roll up. Place with seam side down in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Pour remaining cheese mixture over the bundles. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 480 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1243mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Ham Bundles in Country Woman March/April 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.