I am a native Missourian living near Frankfurt, Germany with my husband, Ralf. I've had to learn how to adapt recipes because I can't always get ingredients here that I could easily find back home. When I'm making this recipe in spring, I use mild white asparagus, which is a German delicacy. It's just as good with green, however, —Tiffiny Trump-Humbert, Rauheim, Germany
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- In a large saucepan, cook the asparagus in 1/2 in. of water for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soup, water, egg yolks, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Whisk in lemon juice. Add to onion mixture. Add cream cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Stir in spinach and asparagus; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.