Asparagus Cress Soup
Here's a refreshing soup that combines two spring treats—asparagus and watercress. Serve it as the first course to a special meal with family or friends.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 bunch watercress, stems removed (about 1 cup, lightly packed)
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sour cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter 3-4 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth and bring to a boil. Add asparagus and watercress; cover and simmer 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan; stir in cream. Heat on low until cooked through (do not boil). Season with the salt, white pepper and cayenne. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 186 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Cress Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.