- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 bunch watercress, stems removed (about 1 cup, lightly packed)
- 1-1/2 cups light cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sour cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter 3-4 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth and bring to a boil. Add asparagus and watercress; cover and simmer 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool. Puree soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan; stir in light cream. heat over low to serving temperature (do not boil). Season with salt, white pepper and cayenne. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forAsparagus Cress Soup
"I doubled the recipe. Add more salt than called for to your liking."