Asparagus Confetti Salad
I live near Lake Ontario, where we are surrounded by many farms that raise asparagus. In the spring, roadside stands are filled with bundles of fresh asparagus spears, kept crisp in pans of cool water. This salad has always been a favorite to serve at luncheons with friends.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cooked beets (about 2 small beets)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups torn lettuce
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions with tops
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, chopped
- Combine dressing ingredients in a glass jar; shake well to blend. Refrigerate. Place asparagus in a large saucepan with enough water to cover; cook until crisp-tender. Drain and chill immediately. Just before serving, combine asparagus, lettuce, celery, green onions and red onion. Toss to mix. Pour dressing over salad and toss lightly. Sprinkle with chopped egg.