Asparagus Cheese Soup for Two
Although I came from a large family, I had to adjust to cooking for two during the years I had a roommate. This soup is a springtime favorite.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 slices process American cheese, cut up
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- In a small skillet, combine 1 cup water, bouillon, seasoned salt, lemon-pepper and white pepper. Add asparagus. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Remove asparagus; cool slightly.
- Cut off several asparagus tips and set aside. Cut remaining asparagus into larger pieces. Place asparagus pieces and cooking liquid in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. In a saucepan, combine asparagus mixture and remaining water; heat through. Reduce heat; stir in cheese just until melted. Garnish with bacon bits and reserved asparagus tips.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 169 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1234mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Apr 24, 2012
This recipe is great just the way it is. Don't need to change a thing. I appreciated that it has much less calories than most asparagus soup recipes. As a retired couple, recipes of this caliber is hard to find.