- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 4 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces), cooked and drained or 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus, thawed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add asparagus and heat through. Add the cheese, thyme and nutmeg. Cook until cheese is melted, stirring frequently (do not boil). Garnish with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forAsparagus Cheese Soup
"While this is a good base start for this soup, I would change a couple things.First, the recipe calls for too much thyme. While I like thyme and use it in most of my broth-based soups, the quantity in this cream soup is overwhelming.Second, I added some chicken stock base for extra flavor and thus reduced the salt too. This gave it more depth than a simple cream sauce can provide.Overall, it is a good base to use to add your own touches and adjust to your own taste.(Also, I easily made this gluten free by simply substituting the AP flour with GF AP flour)"