Asparagus Breakfast Strata
Filled with tasty ingredients like mushrooms, cheddar cheese and asparagus, this dish makes for hearty fare. You can prepare it the night before for a no-fuss breakfast, brunch of dish to pass.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut asparagus, thawed or 2 cups cut fresh asparagus, cooked
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 cups cubed reduced-calorie bread
- In a large bowl, beat the milk, egg substitute, mustard and basil. Gently stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 228 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable.
Originally published as Spring Breakfast Strata in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.