Asparagus Beef Stroganoff
Becky Upchurch of Waco, Texas prepares this tasty all-in-one dish for the presentation and flavor it offers. "It's a great way to incorporate vegetables into a meal," she writes.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into 3-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat in butter until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper and mustard. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add cream cheese and milk; cook and stir until cream cheese is melted.
- In another skillet, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- On a serving platter, arrange asparagus over noodles; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
Originally published as Asparagus Beef Stroganoff in Quick Cooking November/December 2001