Asparagus Beef Stir-Fry on Potatoes
This is my light and quick version of a steak dinner that I created when I had leftover grilled steak and asparagus. The hands-on time is minimal, and the dish is full of flavor and very satisfying. —Frances Pietsch, Flower Mound, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 large baking potatoes (about 12 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1 inch )
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high until tender, 12-16 minutes, turning once. Cool slightly.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat until golden brown, 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce and vinegar. Keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry beef until browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, stir-fry asparagus and mushrooms in remaining oil until asparagus is crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in beef, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise in half; fluff pulp with a fork. Top with beef mixture; drizzle with sauce.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/2 baked potato with 1 cup beef mixture and 1 tablespoon sauce: 387 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 832mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Stir Fry Beef and Asparagus-Topped Baked Potatoes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017