Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Dry bread crumbs
- Cook asparagus in boiling water until nearly tender; drain and set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat. Place half of the asparagus in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the white sauce, eggs, pimientos and cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 221 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 179mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Mar 14, 2014
I added bacon to this and had only the egg whites and this turned out good.
Jun 9, 2011
I didn't know to discard the woody ends of the asparagus, but that part aside it was pretty good. I've never really made asparagus before and found it tastes similar to green beans. I think this would also be good with bacon bits in it.