Asparagus and Black Bean Salad
Parsley makes its presence known in this unusual medley tossed with a lime dressing. The salad is delicious and attractive with the red and green colors. —Iola Egle, Bella Vista, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the asparagus, beans, red pepper, onion and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 69 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Surprise Salad in Taste of Home February/March 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.