Asian Shredded Pork Sandwiches
On cool-weather weeknights, the slow cooker is our friend. The plums might surprise in these juicy pork sandwiches, but they add a little sweetness and make the meat extra tender. —Holly Battiste, Barrington, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 can (15 ounces) plums, drained and pitted
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 10 ciabatta rolls, split
- Shredded napa or other cabbage
- Mix first 11 ingredients. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides.
- Place carrots in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add roast; pour plum mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove pork; shred with two forks. Skim fat from carrot mixture; stir in pork and heat through. Serve on rolls with cabbage. Freeze option: Freeze cooled pork mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 637 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 864mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Shredded Plum Pork in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.