Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lightly salted cashews
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked pork
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- 1 green onion, julienned
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar, ginger and orange zest. Stir in orange juice and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the celery, carrots and cashews in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add pork; heat through. Serve with rice; top with noodles and onion.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 446 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 27, 2013
After reading the reviews I reduced the orange peel to half teaspoon and substituted red pepper for the carrots. Carrots never seem to cook enough in a stir fry. I guess I could have cooked them a little before adding the other vegetables. We did like this recipie.
Feb 9, 2013
First thing I would like to note is that the recipe time isn't quick. Most rice takes at LEAST 30 to 45 minutes to get done cooking if you want them to be done well (Not instant rice.)I thought the dish was alright. The orange was very strong, and I would totally add something that has other sauces that would go well with it.I won't make it again, but that's because I didn't really like the taste. Texture was fine though.
Dec 13, 2011
Made the recipe as written. The orange sauce was bitter. We added Sweet and Sour dipping sauce at the table to improve the flavor. Probably won't make this one again.
Jul 6, 2009
HBcook again - I added 4 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce. The sauce needed it!
Jul 6, 2009
This is a nice weeknight recipe. I thought it was too strong on the orange but my husband loved it.
Apr 25, 2009
This was wonderful and easy to make. The cashews and chow mein noodles give it a nice texture. I had my husband grill a pork tenderloin for the pork in the recipe. The only things I changed were to reduce the amount of ginger and I sliced the green onions instead of julienning them. This will be regular recipe in our menu rotation!