Asian Meatball Salad
To jazz up iceberg lettuce, I tossed in some tangy meatballs flavored with soy sauce and water chestnuts. The homemade dressing is the perfect accompaniment.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg
- 6 teaspoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- Additional green onions
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- In a large bowl, beat egg and 4 teaspoons soy sauce; add water chestnuts, green onions and bread crumbs. Crumble ground beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, combine cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan. Whisk in broth, vinegar and remaining soy sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Arrange meatballs over lettuce; garnish with onions and lemon. Serve with the dressing.
Originally published as Turkey Meatball Salad in The Ultimate Ground Beef Cookbook
Jan 18, 2015
This is the absolute worst dish I have ever tasted. Bland and completely lacked any depth of flavour! The dressing just tastes like thickened chicken stock and is disgusting....we had to bin our dinner and get takeout after cooking this!