Asian BBQ Pork Buns
Here's a quick way to get a delicious and comforting dinner on the table that pleases everyone on busy evenings. Sometimes I add a little reduced-sodium soy sauce to the barbecue sauce. If your family loves Asian food like mine does, they will fall for these pork buns. —Teresa Ralston, New Albany, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) regular chili sauce (such as Heinz)
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup Asian toasted sesame salad dressing
- 8 split sesame seed hamburger buns, toasted
- Sprinkle pork roast with 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork; brown on all sides. Transfer pork and drippings to a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Add water; cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 5-6 hours. Remove pork; discard cooking juices.
- When pork is cool enough to handle, shred meat with 2 forks. Return to slow cooker. Stir together chili sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar and ginger. Pour over pork; toss to coat. Cook until heated through, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, toss coleslaw mix with dressing and remaining salt and pepper. Serve shredded pork topped with coleslaw on toasted buns.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 533 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1862mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Asian BBQ Style Pork Buns in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017