Colorful asparagus spears pair perfectly with tender beef in this quick fix from Dana Spencer. The Forest Ranch, California cook adds a sprinkling of sesame seeds for Asian flare.
Recommended: 65 Low-Calorie Dinner Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 pound beef flank steak, cut into strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 6 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water, broth, wine or additional broth and teriyaki sauce until smooth; set aside.
- In a small skillet, stir-fry beef in 1 teaspoon oil for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Stir-fry asparagus in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add beef; heat through. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Beef Stir-Fry in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p59
Reviews forAsian Asparagus Beef Stir-Fry
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2012
"A little tame on the flavor side, but that is good for my husband who has a sensitive stomach. Overall was very good."
Reviewed Mar. 13, 2009