Asiago Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and 2 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 18 balls. Roll each into a 12-in. rope; tie into a loose knot. Tuck ends under. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Melt remaining butter; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, rotating pans halfway through baking. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 7, 2018
I can not even begin to tell you how yummy these rolls are. I did add a bit more of the asiago cheese to the dough. I also did not have garlic salt so I used garlic powder and regular salt, 2 tsp. each.