Arugula Pesto Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 cups fresh arugula or spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed, shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Pulse arugula, basil, pine nuts, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor until chopped. While processing, gradually add 1/4 cup oil in a steady stream until mixture is smooth. Using a shredder or spiralizer, shred zucchini lengthwise into long strands.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add zucchini strands and chicken. Cook and stir until zucchini is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add tomatoes, pesto, pepper and remaining salt; toss to coat. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve using a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 488 calories, 32g fat (5g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 28, 2018
The arugula pesto was a nice change from just basil pesto. Loved it with the zucchini and chicken. Very easy meal. Will definitely make this again ... and maybe find other uses for the arugula pesto (we liked it that much).
Aug 10, 2017
I wasn't sure pesto with arugula would be something we'd like, but it was a nice surprise! I like how this recipe uses ingredients that seemed to be ready in our garden at the same time. We like our pesto very garlicky, so I upped the amount of garlic in it. Other flavorful cheeses work well in place of the grated Parmesan.
May 25, 2016
Mixed reviews from my family on this. Loved how healthy and quick to put together once the zucchini was shredded. My kids loved this. My husband felt it was too healthy. I felt it needed something.I used xtra cherry tomatoes and the parmesean, but next time I might add a lot more garlic.