- 2 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a skillet, saute the artichokes and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted.
- Pour over artichokes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Combine crumbs and paprika; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forArtichokes Au Gratin
"This was easy and unique. We added some chopped mushrooms (cuz we love mushrooms in everything) and it was amazing. Also reheats well as leftovers."
"I make this every year for Christmas and my family just loves it."
"REAL GOOD! There is so much sauce, you could easily use three cans of artichokes."
"This was so good, were making it for Thanksgiving. The only thing I would add is more cheese, also it tastes better the next day."