Artichoke Tomato Pasta
Diane Molberg understands the meaning of a family-pleasing dish. Lightly flavored with artichoke hearts, her chunky pasta sauce is a hearty way to top off a busy day. “It’s an easy vegetarian meal that’s low in fat,” she writes from Emerald Park, Saskatoon.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground cumin
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, pepper and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in artichokes and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Drain pasta; toss with artichoke mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 236 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.