Artichoke & Spinach Enchiladas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin. Simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until slightly thickened. Spread 3/4 cup sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Set aside remaining sauce.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in mushrooms; cook 3 minutes longer. Add artichokes and spinach; cook for 4-5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the ricotta cheese, sour cream and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese.
- Place 2/3 cup mushroom mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in prepared dish. Pour reserved sauce over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 enchilada: 506 calories, 29g fat (15g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 933mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Aug 23, 2014
Was exited to make this, but it was very bland. Will not make again.
Aug 8, 2014
Delicious! The sauce was great - I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth as we are not vegetarians. Thanks to my previous reviewer - glad I added salt as the spinach needed it.
Jun 22, 2014
OMG!!! this is excellent! Needs salt though...
Jun 17, 2014
Delicious! We will be making these again.
Mar 18, 2014
We always have one night where we make vegetables the main course because meat cost so much. This recipe is a nice switch up from our usual! Flavor and texture does not lack here!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.