Artichoke Rye Toasts
Quick, light and cheesy, Joann Guzolik’s mouthwatering artichoke bites make irresistible finger food for guests of all ages at her home in West Leechburg, Pennsylvania.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 24 slices snack rye bread
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Place the bread on ungreased baking sheets; spritz with butter-flavored spray. In a small bowl, combine the artichokes, cheeses and cayenne. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into artichoke mixture.
- Spread over bread; sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
Nutrition Facts2 slices: 78 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Atrichoke Puffs in Light & Tasty October/November 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.