Artichoke-Red Pepper Tossed Salad
During college, I lived in France, where I learned to make vinaigrette. My host family served the dressing with artichoke hearts. That inspired me to add them to my basic tossed salad when I returned home. —Rachel Hinz, St. James, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 head medium head iceberg lettuce
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar and seasoned salt; cover and shake well. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Originally published as Artichoke-Red Pepper Tossed Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001