Artichoke Orzo Pilaf
Canned artichoke hearts bring a tangy taste to tangy orzo pasta in this side dish. "This saute is quick and easy...and tasty, too," writes Stacy Crochet of Watertown, Connecticut.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute leek and orzo in oil for 3 minutes or until leek is tender. Add the broth, water and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in artichoke hearts and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 181 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Artichoke Orzo Pilaf in Light & Tasty December/January 2004