Artichoke & Mushroom Toasts
Our winters can get cold here, so I like to warm up holiday guests with oven-fresh appetizers. Crunchy bread slices are topped with mushrooms, artichokes and a blend of cheeses. —Nancy Mueller, Bloomington, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 5 min.
- 36 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Place bread on baking sheets; brush with 2 tablespoons oil. Broil 4-6 in. from heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms with Italian seasoning in butter and remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place artichokes in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Add mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese; cover and process until blended. Spread over toast slices; top with mushrooms and sprinkle with Swiss cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
To Make Ahead: Prep the toasts earlier in the day and store on baking sheets in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese just before baking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 118 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom/Artichoke Italian Bread Slices in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010