This open-faced egg and artichoke melts are a favorite at Jill Gross' home in Roselle, Illinois. "The Dijon mustard adds a nice zip, making them more exciting than plain grilled cheese," she says. "When my husband can't make it home for dinner, I treat myself to this sandwich instead of making a whole meal."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- In a bowl, combine the artichokes, cheese, mayonnaise, mustard and thyme; set aside. Place bread on a baking sheet; broil 4 in. from the heat until toasted. Turn over. Place egg slices on untoasted side of bread; spread with artichoke mixture. Broil for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.
Originally published as Artichoke Melts in Quick Cooking January/February 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.