Artichoke-Lamb Sandwich Loaves Recipe
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (2-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup plus 6 tablespoons reduced-fat balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 2 sourdough baguettes (1 pound each)
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 package (5.3 ounces) fresh goat cheese, sliced
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients; add lamb. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Place lamb on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 80-90 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Place artichokes in a resealable plastic bag; add 2/3 cup vinaigrette. Seal bag and turn to coat; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain and discard marinade.
- 4. Cut lamb into thin slices. Cut each baguette in half horizontally. Carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell. Brush the bottom half of each loaf with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. Layer with cucumber, tomatoes, lamb and artichokes; drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Top with goat cheese.
- 5. Replace bread tops and press down firmly; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into slices. Yield: 24 servings.
2 each: 239 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Artichoke-Lamb Sandwich Loaves
"This was very tasty, and I served it w/the Garden Shell salad from the same issue."