These tender sandwiches will surely become the talk of any get-together. Helen Hassler of Denver, Pennsylvania hollows out sourdough baguettes before filling them with cucumber, cheese and marinated lamb and artichokes. Simply delicious, the mouthwatering bites are perfect for a spring brunch.
Recommended: What to Eat When It's Too Hot to Cook
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (2-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup plus 6 tablespoons reduced-fat balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 2 sourdough baguettes (1 pound each)
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 package (5.3 ounces) fresh goat cheese, sliced
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients; add lamb. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place lamb on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 80-90 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place artichokes in a resealable plastic bag; add 2/3 cup vinaigrette. Seal bag and turn to coat; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain and discard marinade.
- Cut lamb into thin slices. Cut each baguette in half horizontally. Carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell. Brush the bottom half of each loaf with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. Layer with cucumber, tomatoes, lamb and artichokes; drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Top with goat cheese.
- Replace bread tops and press down firmly; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into slices. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Artichoke-Lamb Sandwich Loaves in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p27
Reviews forArtichoke-Lamb Sandwich Loaves
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 10, 2012
"This was very tasty, and I served it w/the Garden Shell salad from the same issue."