Artichoke Hearts Romano
I’ve enjoyed cooking all my life, and most of my endeavors are Italian. With a zippy marinara sauce for dipping, these golden, breaded artichoke quarters make a unique and popular appetizer. —Anthony Greco, Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes2 dozen (2 cups sauce)
- 6 large artichokes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- FOR COOKING:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 1 in. from the tops. Using kitchen scissors, snip off tips of outer leaves. Place artichokes in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until leaves in the center pull out easily.
- Invert artichokes to drain for 10 minutes. With a spoon, carefully remove the fuzzy centers and discard. Cut artichoke hearts into fourths.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley and pepper in another shallow bowl. Dip artichoke pieces in egg mixture, then coat with crumbs. In a large skillet, cook artichokes in oil for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve immediately with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 69 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Dippity-Doo Artichoke Hearts in Taste of Home April/May 2010