Artichoke Ham Puffs
This recipe is wonderful for a special brunch with family or friends. With lots of cheese and chunks of ham, the filling is delicious and satisfying. I serve the puffs with fresh fruit and a sweet bread.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 6 frozen puff pastry shells
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, patted dry and quartered
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the remaining butter; cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until melted.
- Stir in the flour, mustard and tarragon until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add cheese and pepper; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in ham and artichokes. Remove tops from pastry shells; fill with ham mixture. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 669 calories, 46g fat (24g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 1688mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Ham with Artichokes and Mushrooms in Taste of Home April/May 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.