Artichoke & Caper Cream Soup
I adore the flavors of oyster mushrooms, capers and artichokes. So after experimenting with several batches, I came up with this soup. Every year I'm asked to bring it to our office Christmas party.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 pound fresh oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) artichoke bottoms, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Cognac or additional chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- minced chives, optional
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms. Cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add artichokes, capers and garlic. Cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until artichokes begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine broth, cream, Cognac and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reserve 1 cup artichoke mixture. Transfer remaining mixture to a blender; add 3/4 cup broth mixture. Cover and process until smooth; add to remaining broth mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Add reserved artichoke mixture; heat through. Garnish with chives if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 495 calories, 45g fat (28g saturated fat), 158mg cholesterol, 1210mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Oyster Mushroom, Artichoke & Caper cream soup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013