Artichoke Bean Rice Salad
In her Soldier, Iowa kitchen, Bernice Knutson throws together this unique salad that takes advantage of an extra cup of cooked rice. Friends and family are sure to enjoy the cool refreshing combination of artichoke hearts, avocado, beans and colorful peppers.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cold cooked rice
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine oil and lemon juice. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 228 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Artichoke Rice Salad in Quick Cooking May/June 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.