Artichoke-Basil Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. Drain artichokes, reserving marinade; set artichokes aside. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in reserved marinade for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir in the artichokes, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, basil, sugar and salt if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Serve over pasta. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup: 124 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Artichoke-Basil Pasta Sauce
"Delicious. I used artichokes packed in water. I sauteed the onions and mushrooms in some olive oil and added some red pepper flakes instead of the oil from the artichokes. After it was all put together and simmering I did add some additional water to thin it out a bit (my personal preference). Very very tasty. You won't be disappointed."
"This was amazing! The only thing is that I served it with fresh grated mozzarella and parmesan cheeses! My dad, who is not a huge pasta fan, absolutely loved this and asked for me to keep this recipe."