- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Hot cooked pasta
- Drain artichokes, reserving marinade; set artichokes aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in reserved marinade for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the artichokes, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, basil, sugar and salt if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Serve over pasta. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forArtichoke-Basil Pasta Sauce
"Delicious. I used artichokes packed in water. I sauteed the onions and mushrooms in some olive oil and added some red pepper flakes instead of the oil from the artichokes. After it was all put together and simmering I did add some additional water to thin it out a bit (my personal preference). Very very tasty. You won't be disappointed."
"This was amazing! The only thing is that I served it with fresh grated mozzarella and parmesan cheeses! My dad, who is not a huge pasta fan, absolutely loved this and asked for me to keep this recipe."