Arroz con Pollo
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken in batches in 2 tablespoons oil for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the rice for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in broth.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the remaining oil; add tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4 minutes. Stir in rice mixture; bring to a boil.
- Arrange chicken in pan. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken juices run clear. Stir in peas; cover and let stand for 4 minutes or until peas are heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 526 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1078mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Arroz con Pollo in Taste of Home's Mexican Recipe Cards