- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken in batches in 2 tablespoons oil for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the rice for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in broth.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the remaining oil; add tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4 minutes. Stir in rice mixture; bring to a boil.
- Arrange chicken in pan. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken juices run clear. Stir in peas; cover and let stand for 4 minutes or until peas are heated through.
1 serving: 526 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1078mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.