Aromatic Fennel Chicken Recipe
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 fennel bulbs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken on all sides in reserved drippings; remove and keep warm. Add fennel and onions to the pan; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Stir in the wine, lemon juice and peel, bay leaves, thyme and cayenne. Return chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- 4. Cook the fennel mixture, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in capers and reserved bacon. Discard bay leaves. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 290 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Aromatic Fennel Chicken
"Made a few changes..used precooked bacon pieces instead of bacon..and cut the recipe in half. great flavor..husband loves fennel but not cooked...I loved it.Don't think I would use the capers again..not necessary for flavor."
"I made this for my family and even my picky eaters really liked it. Loved it would be a stretch. I was wonderful! When my mom broke her ankle I went to take care of her and with all the wonderful health benefits of fennel I made it for them and they LOVED it. This is a must try!"