Arnold Palmer Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- ICED TEA FROSTING:
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup iced tea mix with lemon and sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and lemon juice. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition (batter will be thick).
- Fill 30 lined muffin cups with 1/4 cup batter. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine butter and confectioners' sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy. In another small bowl, stir together milk and iced tea mix until dissolved. Add to butter mixture; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 355 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 182mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 3, 2018
Such a unique cupcake! My only recommendation would be adjustments to the frosting. Using quantities specified above, the icing was much too thin and not a good consistency for frosting the cupcakes. I had sifted my powder sugar, which may have had somewhat of an impact. In the end, excess frosting was leftover. I suggest using amount of powered sugar and butter called for in this recipe but only add enough milk/tea mixture to get to the proper consistency.
Oct 1, 2018
My kids and I really liked these.
Jun 18, 2018
Great flavors! I ended up with way more frosting than I needed for the cupcakes. Next time I'll make it as either a layer or sheet cake.
May 10, 2018
Made this as a layer cake for a raffle prize for a theater group. Sold more tickets than usual just based on the name, the description and the look of the cake. Had to make a minor repair to the frosting where it bumped the box in transit--those who "licked the knife" want cupcakes. I trimmed the cake and it was yummy, although I might add more lemon peel next time for a bit more lemon flavor & there DEFINITELY will be a next time!
Mar 30, 2018
This cake is so very flavorful. And as weird as the icing sounds or seems it is really good. This won't last long in your house when you make this. I made a 13 x 9 cake and just follow the recipe.