Arizona Corn Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional cornmeal
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. In a saucepan, heat the sour cream, oil and onions to 120°-130°. Add to cornmeal mixture; beat until blended. Beat in eggs, cheese, corn and jalapenos. Stir in enough flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Grease two 9x5-in. loaf pans; dust with additional cornmeal. Place loaves seam side down in prepared pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush butter over loaves. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown; cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 164 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 3, 2014
This looks and sounds delicious! Bumping for a keeper. Thank U
Jan 22, 2014
Very good taste and texture. This will become one of my favorite breads to make.
Nov 26, 2013
Delicious! Very moist, slightly more crumbly than your ususal yeast bread, but a very nice texture. The only thing I'll do differently next time is add a little more jalapeno.
Jun 17, 2012
I left out the jalapeno peppers and used Pepper Jack cheese instead. This was great!
May 23, 2010
This bread is soooo good! I made it for the first time when I had company over. It was so good my friends not only asked for the recipe they took some home with them too! Needless to say all the bread was gone the next day.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.