VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Cook rice according to package directions. Cool slightly. Stir in the egg yolk, cheese and butter. Cover and refrigerate until cooled.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, peas, salt and pepper.
- Shape rice mixture into 11 patties. Place one heaping tablespoonful of meat filling in the center of each patty. Shape rice around filling, forming a ball.
- Place egg whites and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip rice balls in egg whites, then roll in bread crumbs. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry rice balls, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Arancini di Riso in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p174