April Fools' Cake Recipe
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 5 to 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a bowl, combine the pizza sauce, sausage and pepperoni; set aside. In another bowl, combine the biscuit mix, milk, eggs, butter and garlic salt. Spread half of the batter on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Spoon meat mixture over batter; cover with remaining batter.
- 2. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Invert onto a baking sheet. Arrange cheese over cake. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Using two large metal spatulas, transfer cake to a serving platter; serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 497 calories, 33g fat (13g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 1776mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for April Fools' Cake
"I did not use the sausage and used turkey pepperoni instead. It was really good!"
"Fooled everyone, & tastes great! I made this ahead of time along with the layer meatload cake & heated them up at the time as we were having 17 visitors for lunch. Melted the cheese last minute as directed, works amazingly! Looks perfect!!!!!"
"I've hade this twice now, the first time I cooked it for 35 mins & it was nearly burned, very dark & hard as a rock! The 2nd time I cooked it for 25 mins, still over cooked. Dunno if it is worth the bother to make again, a good idea tho. Works perfectly to trick people with!"
"Great idea - can't wait for next April Fools Day!"
"Entirely too much filling for the amount of batter that this recipe makes. I would make it again, but would cut the amount of filling so that it doesn't leak out during baking."
"This was wonderful! My family got a kick out of it, boy were they excited when I told them we were having cake for dinner! This was delish too. I recommend using brand name cheese slices, I had both brand name and store brand on hand. The store brand didn't drip like the brand name cheese did. It still looked realistic! Served it just like a cake."
"I love the idea! I can't wait to try it!"
"The recipe for April Fools cake, does not appear. It comes up regular pizza. How do I obtain the recipe?"