April Fool Meatball Sub
Do you have a fun-loving family that appreciates pranks? Give ’em a gotcha they’ll never forget. This sub features a bun made from pound cake, and the meatballs are really ice cream. It’s as fun to make as it is to eat. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Krispies, coarsely crushed
- 3 small scoops chocolate ice cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon seedless strawberry jam, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1/3 cup marshmallow creme
- 2 teaspoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted sunflower kernels
- Place cereal in a shallow bowl. Roll ice cream scoops in cereal to coat. Cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl combine 1/2 cup jam and ice cream topping. Microwave on high for 10-20 seconds or until warmed. Cut pound cake in half horizontally. Place bottom half on a serving plate. Spoon half of the jam mixture over cake; top with ice cream scoops, remaining jam mixture, marshmallow creme and coconut. Replace cake top.
- In another microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining jam. Brush over top of cake; sprinkle with sunflower kernels. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 336 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Meatball Sub in Simple & Delicious April/May 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.