Do you have a fun-loving family that appreciates pranks? Give ’em a gotcha they’ll never forget. This sub features a bun made from pound cake, and the meatballs are really ice cream. It’s as fun to make as it is to eat. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 10 Creative Recipes for April Fools' Day
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Krispies, coarsely crushed
- 3 small scoops chocolate ice cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon seedless strawberry jam, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1/3 cup marshmallow creme
- 2 teaspoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted sunflower kernels
- Place cereal in a shallow bowl. Roll ice cream scoops in cereal to coat. Cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl combine 1/2 cup jam and ice cream topping. Microwave on high for 10-20 seconds or until warmed. Cut pound cake in half horizontally. Place bottom half on a serving plate. Spoon half of the jam mixture over cake; top with ice cream scoops, remaining jam mixture, marshmallow creme and coconut. Replace cake top.
- In another microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining jam. Brush over top of cake; sprinkle with sunflower kernels. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as April Fool Meatball Sub in Simple & Delicious April/May 2011, p64
Reviews forApril Fool Meatball Sub
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 31, 2012
"When I made this is it was too cute!"